Mainland confident of overcoming challenges in Taiwan Strait: spokesman
BEIJING, Jan. 15 -- Facing the complex and grim situation across the Taiwan Strait, the Chinese mainland has enough confidence and capability to overcome risks and challenges, a mainland spokesperson said Wednesday.
It is the development and progress of the mainland that fundamentally determines the direction of cross-Strait relations, Ma Xiaoguang, a spokesman with the State Council Taiwan Affairs Office, said at a regular press conference in Beijing.
"We will uphold the basic principles of 'peaceful reunification' and 'one country, two systems' as well as the one-China principle, resolutely safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity, and resolutely oppose separatist attempts and acts for 'Taiwan independence' in any form," Ma said.
The mainland will continue to resolutely promote the interests and well-being of compatriots on both sides and the peaceful development of cross-Strait relations, and advance the process of peaceful reunification of the motherland, according to Ma.
- Taiwan compatriots strongly dissatisfied with DPP authority for return arrangement
- Mainland actively facilitates Taiwan compatriots' return: official
- Hau Pei-tsun passes away in Taipei
- Taiwan implements new measures to deal with COVID-19 pandemic
- Mainland welcomes Taiwan students, athletes coming to study: spokesperson