Mainland thanks Taiwan people for Sichuan quake support
BEIJING, Sept. 8 (Xinhua) -- A mainland spokesperson on Thursday extended gratitude to people in Taiwan for expressing their concern and sympathy for the quake-hit Luding County in Sichuan Province.
Zhu Fenglian, a spokesperson for the State Council Taiwan Affairs Office, said that people from all walks of life in Taiwan had expressed their condolences to the quake-hit region, while Taiwanese business people and enterprises donated money and supplies.
The mainland is grateful for their efforts, said Zhu.
Luding County was jolted by a 6.8-magnitude earthquake on Sept. 5. As of Tuesday, the quake had caused 74 deaths.
- Mainland official encourages cross-strait youth communication
- Mainland hopes dealing with Taiwan based on one China policy
- Mainland urges Taiwan to safeguard Diaoyu Islands, South China Sea
- Mainland official meets with Taiwan delegation
- Mainland spokesman calls for better treatment of mainland students in Taiwan
- Mainland spokeswoman blasts Taiwan opposition's air zone stance